July 17, 2009

Donna's Got Her Groove Back


I didn't get my groove back, just felt like saying that. Hate that I missed Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day on the 15th, but plan to check out what you all posted. Good stuff, I bet. I'll be around to visit, so look for me.

We have two large containers with these purple fan flowers (Scaevola Aemula) that are doing really well. Also have them in white in a hanging basket, not this large though. Deadheading not necessary, drought tolerant, heat tolerant and blooms all summer in sun or partial shade. They are annuals here in Zone 4 and I plan to buy some every year for the rest of my life. That's how much I like them.

Phillip and I never did get around to planting pumpkins back in the spring. A grandma can only do so much, you know. So, last week I bought this pathetic little pumpkin plant (Connecticut Field) for $1.19. Plunked it down in this plastic pot and it's started to show some life along with a nice big flower. Think we'll ever get a pumpkin from it? No, I don't think so either.

Coneflower
Big Sky Sundown
Planted in 2008
Some Of The Flowers
Look Like This

Some Of The Flowers
Look Like This
What Do You Think Is Wrong
Please Tell Me, If You Know

The Annabelle Hydrangeas are in bloom and looking lovely in an old-fashioned way, which I happen to like a lot. They do a little flopping, but that appeals to me and so I do nothing to keep them upright. We are lucky enough to have five of these bushes in our yard.

There is something else that will be taking up some of my time and her name is Alley (like in Alley Cat). This is her first day here with us and she's being a little sweetie pie.....so far. Warning, you may be subjected to pictures of her in the future. Just for the record, Phillip named her.



16 comments:

  1. Oh, what pretties. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that some of the Big Sky cones have genetic problems that mess their blooms up. I have an orange one that does the same thing. You have pretty flowers! I want to try a fan flower next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm the coneflower . when mine look like that , I just assume they are old blooms and the petals fell off. maybe I am being naive ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous17 July, 2009

    What a lovely flowers you have, i loved the coneflower and Hydrengeas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annabelles are my favorite. The always make me smile. Just like I'm now. Thank you sweet Donna. I've missed visiting your space being around you and your garden. It's just I'm so very busy with work....two more weeks and normal days will come for me. So be here soon. Love Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see some blooms from you, Donna. I am coveting that Scaevola. Hope it will grow in cooler temps! That pumpkin is certainly making up for lost time and bypassing the leaf stage.
    I love your blowsy, old fashioned hydrangea. Such gorgeous profusion of blooms. They must really light up the dusk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That hydrangea is so pretty, almost all of mine flop too and I don't mind either. I love the Coneflower, there are so many pretty varieties of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm guessing you're back from your travels south! I hope it was fun. Your Annebelle's are beautiful. I'd love a big vase with a few in my dining room. I'll look forward to more about Alley. Here's hoping for a big pumpkin (or a little one) come Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flowers look sooo much better than mine! I love that purple one. Have to check into that one for my climate. The pumpkin sure has a pretty bloom. I may plant them just for that alone. Coneflowers...just nature doing her thing I think. I think that hydrangea is the one my neighbor wants that I will be looking for online for her birthday next month. She said it was white, and I think the one she's thinking of is the Annabelle. I'll show her this photo. Now who are you hiding there that we can't see???
    Brenda
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you may have a coach for Cinderella in the making with that pumpkin plant.
    Your flowers always look fabu, I wish I could tell you what that coneflowers' problem is, I like to blame it all on bugs, but I am not sure on that one.
    Glad your back,
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your snow-white hydrangeas are gorgeous Donna...they look cleaner than snow, in fact;-) Don't worry about GBBD, I didn't do it last month, and I'm late this month...But I know what you mean about 'wanting' to. It's just that, life itself takes priority, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your first flower is what I have with a portulaca in a hanging pot. I usually have one each year, too. I haven't grown those beautiful hydrangeas before. I tried a native type one a few years ago, but it didn't bloom the first year, then died over the winter. I am tickled my little pink pia has a cluster of blooms on it, and hope it gets more.

    If you can take the bottom off your pot, maybe you will get a pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I forgot to say, I was wondering if some insects had eaten part of the coneflower. So, is Alley a cat?

    ReplyDelete
  14. blushiing rose - I must try and remember all the pretties come winter.

    MissyM - I think you're right about the Big Sky cones. What a disappointment.

    Muum - Maybe that's what I should be thinking. The petals fell off and they'll all be fine next year!

    Zindagi - I visited your blog and can see that there's all kinds of lovliness going on in your beautiful part of the world.

    Barefoot from Heaven - Dagmar, it's always nice to have a visit from you and it's even better when you have a new post.

    gardenerprogress/Catherine - So far, I'm not doing too good in the coneflower department.

    Brenda - My flowers look good now but remember that it's a long winter here in Zone 4. What will I blog about then? Maybe the new cat, Alley.

    Rosey Pollen - A coach for Cinderella...that made me laugh out loud. Let's blame EVERYTHING on bugs.

    Jan (Thanks For 2 Day) - You're right about priorities. Blogging is fun and satisfying, but not that important in the big picture of life. But, dang.....hated missing GBBD.

    Sue - What a great idea about the pumpkin. Think I'll take it to my son's house and do that. They have more room for a sprawling pumpkin vine.

    Sue - I'd like to blame insects for the coneflower deformity but I doubt it since they opened up that way. Alley is indeed a cat and so far, a very loving & well-behaved kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, Annabelle is lovely in an old-fashioned sort of way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love the hydrangeas. (Did I spell that right?)

    I posted the recipe for the Maple Ginger Glaze over on my blog and yes...it works great with Salmon.

    ReplyDelete

For you to take the time to leave a comment means a lot to me. You make my heart happy.