May 24, 2009

Small Town Cemetery

Last Sunday when we were driving home from Wisconsin Dells, the combination of being out late the night before, enjoying a big lunch and the warm sun shining in through the car windows made us feel sleepy. What better place to find peace and quiet for a nap than a small town cemetery.

My honey husband fell asleep almost immediately but I was curious about the stories I might find if I walked around visiting grave markers and I wasn't disappointed.

I guess back in 1875 the deceased wife of Amos Partridge didn't have a first name. That bothers me because, of course, she had a first name.


Many of the grave markers from the 1800's gave the age at time of death in years, months and days.

I couldn't help but wonder about the headstones that were damaged. How long had they been that way, how did it happen and why didn't anyone try to put them back together?

It would be nice if when the time comes, a peony would grow on my grave or even a sprig of dandelions like in this photo.


Kyle Steven Goodearle most likely would be graduating from high school this year had he lived. Oh, how his family must have grieved and their hearts probably still hurt. He was born on my birthday, April 18.

Gregory J. Hyde, was only 47 years old when he died. He was a husband and probably a father. You can't see it in the photo, but the little frog sitting at the foot of the marker says, "Born to Ride." That tells me it was a motorcycle accident that tore this family apart.

Robert F. Flanagan received a Purple Heart for being wounded while serving in the U.S. military during World War II. Someone who respects our Veterans still sees to it that an American flag flys at his gravestone.


Seth H. Weed died in the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864. I was still thinking about this when we got home. The date told me the American Civil War but I wondered about this particular Battle. Wikipedia says it was fought May 5-7, 1864 in Spotsylvania County and Orange County, Virginia. The Nation was reunited in 1865 but not before 620,000 American died in the war with disease killing twice as many as those lost in battle.

9 comments:

  1. I am still catching up on your posts since returning home from vacation (to find my computer in mysteriously serious condition, requiring a computer geek to straighten out ASAP)
    but, I love the Corvette photos, I am a sucker for cemetery photos (though I am not one to "visit" the graves of my loved ones often), your little birdies look great, and I hope your dad is growing either Mr. Stripey, or Cherokee Purple tomatoes! (And I want one)
    Ok, back to computer disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I also ponder the lives of those memorialized, and generally make up whatever part isn't obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tremendous amount of history in this small cemetery. The headstone for the wee boy was very sad - he was born the same year as my son. The veteran's grave was beautifully kept - so touching to see the pride that must go into all that care. I've never seen age marked in days in the UK, even on the older headstones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Donna !
    Thank you for stopping by my blog : )
    We have the most amazing historical and botanic ? cemetery I have ever seen (and I have lived in many places including Europe)
    Kingston is a historical city in Canada's birth of a nation. Our first Prime Minister is buried here .. so many old headstones with so many stories .. and such beautiful trees, shrubs, perennials .. statues .. water features .. well it goes on and on ..
    I'm glad I am not the only one interested in walking and reading about them all !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice post. It's rare for anyone to take time and think about the lives of the people behind the gravestones of strangers in cemetaries. It was a really nice tribute. Nice blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ArtCricket2, I am seriously afraid of a computer disaster happening in this house. Thank goodness for computer geeks.

    Sue, I liked what you said about making up the parts of the story that aren't obvious.

    Linda, does your son has any of your gardening talent? I'll have to check some of your older posts to see if there are photos of him.

    Joy, your historical cemetery sounds amazing. I bet there's a waiting list to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate and Crew, made me happy that you appreciated this cemetery post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your post. I live a block from a cemetery, and have been planning on walking over for some SkyWatch photos, but it would have been a good idea for Memorial Day, like you did.

    ReplyDelete

For you to take the time to leave a comment means a lot to me. You make my heart happy.